Monday, January 25, 2010

Oh to be 3

I'm not sure how many people can remember being 3. I really can't. I vaguely remember when my baby brother was born, which was when I was 3.5, but that is pretty much it. Right now though, I have my own little 3 year old and while there are definitely days, even weeks that I don't know what to do with him and I wonder who this child in my house is, he is hilarious to watch grow and learn. He helps me remember what it is like to be 3.

He makes me realize that age 3 could possibly be one of the greatest ages to be! He can do plenty of things to feel quite independent, has the vocabulary and ability to communicate just about anything and everything, and doesn't really have a care in the world (except for playing and eating). When other people see this little boy at play, they usually comment to me, "He's so busy. How do you keep up with him?" I just laugh.

He is an active little one and I love that! I wouldn't want it any other way. He is also so compassionate to others and such a big helper. He loves his little brother. Yesterday when we were walking to our car after church, he wanted to hold Grant's hand and said, "Hi Gant. I missed you so much." He is an amazing little boy I love all the little things he can do. He puts some sunshine in each and everyday.

I love that he can go from being Captain Hook, to Peter Pan, to a football player, to a Chef, to a basketball player, to Spiderman, to a teacher, to a construction worker, to a doctor, to a prince (which is fun because then he says I'm Princess Mommy!), then to Handy Manny! And that's just in the morning! I especially love that when he is done being all these different "people" that he comes to sit by me and I ask him, "So who are you now?" He responds, "I'm Lincoln!" I tell him, "I love Lincoln." He laughs and gives me a hug. Right now when he is 3.5 he thinks he can do and be anything/anyone. I hope that somehow I can help him to always remember that he can do anything he wants!

Often when I think about the day and the silly things he has done or said, I usually just have to laugh and shake my head and I realize that the things that I got upset with him for were really just minor things. I think he could possibly be here to help me laugh a little more! :)

These are just a couple of recent photos of Lincoln...I mean of "Super-fireman Lincoln," of Handy-Manny, of the world's greatest Chef, and then Capt. Hook! :)


Lincoln was actually quite proud of this one...he had been wanting to get something out of this toy that fell into the slots. We found the screwdriver and then I was helping Grant with something so I told Lincoln to wait for a minute. He took the screwdriver up ahead of me (just by a couple of minutes) and then came back down with a screw in hand saying, "Look Mommy! I did it. I'm Handy-Manny." He was so excited that he figured it out all by himself!

When Lincoln is a Chef and helping to cook something especially something that involves a flour mixture, he gets his hands into it and says, "Sometimes we get messy when we're cookin.'"
As he gets the flour purposely all over his hands and his apron!
Capt. Hook

No comments: